Home
  By Author [ A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z |  Other Symbols ]
  By Title [ A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z |  Other Symbols ]
  By Language
all Classics books content using ISYS

Download this book: [ ASCII | HTML | PDF ]

Look for this book on Amazon


We have new books nearly every day.
If you would like a news letter once a week or once a month
fill out this form and we will give you a summary of the books for that week or month by email.

Title: George Eliot Centenary, November 1919 - Catalogue of Relics, Manuscrips, Prints, Paintings, Photographs & Books relating to George Eliot
Author: Coventry Libraries Committee
Language: English
As this book started as an ASCII text book there are no pictures available.
Copyright Status: Not copyrighted in the United States. If you live elsewhere check the laws of your country before downloading this ebook. See comments about copyright issues at end of book.

*** Start of this Doctrine Publishing Corporation Digital Book "George Eliot Centenary, November 1919 - Catalogue of Relics, Manuscrips, Prints, Paintings, Photographs & Books relating to George Eliot" ***

This book is indexed by ISYS Web Indexing system to allow the reader find any word or number within the document.

1919***


Transcribed from the 1919 Coventry Libraries Committee catalogue by David
Price, email ccx074@pglaf.org.  Many thanks to Nuneaton Library, UK, for
allowing the use of their copy to make this transcription.



                         George Eliot Centenary,
                             NOVEMBER, 1919.


                                * * * * *

Catalogue of . .

                           RELICS, MANUSCRIPTS,
                            PRINTS, PAINTINGS,
                           PHOTOGRAPHS & BOOKS

                               RELATING TO

                              GEORGE ELIOT,

                               EXHIBITED IN

                       St. Mary’s Hall.  Coventry.

                                * * * * *

                      COVENTRY LIBRARIES COMMITTEE.



PREFATORY NOTE.


The Exhibition has special reference to George Eliot’s residence in
Coventry, and to the Coventry circle of which she was the most
distinguished member.

Visitors are requested not to touch the exhibits.  Copying or sketching
or photographing any exhibit is prohibited.



RELICS, PORTRAITS, MANUSCRIPTS,
EXHIBITED IN
MUNIMENT ROOM.


Family Portraits and Records.


CASE 1.


1.  Portrait of Robert Evans.

                                        _Lent by Canon Evans_, _Bedworth_.

Father of G. E., and prototype of _Adam Bede_.

2.  Diaries of Robert Evans (“Adam Bede”).

                              _Lent by Mr. Walter P. Evans_, _Leamington_.


CASE 2.


3.  Portrait of Isaac P. Evans.

                                        _Lent by Canon Evans_, _Bedworth_.

G. E’s brother; original of “Tom Tulliver.”

3a.  Another portrait of Isaac P. Evans.

                                      Lent by Mr. W. P. Evans, Leamington.


CASE 3.


4.  Portrait of George Eliot, with portrait of her father, Robert Evans.

                                      _Lent by National Portrait Gallery_.

Drawn in 1842 by Mrs. Charles Bray.


CASE. 4.


5.  Portrait of George Eliot, 1850, fr. painting by M. D’Albert.

                              _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_, _Kenilworth_.

6.  George Eliot’s portrait (after Sir F. Burton).

                              _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_, _Kenilworth_.

G. E.’s. gift to Mrs. Bray

6a.  Pencil drawing from shadow thrown by cast of G. Eliot, by Miss Sara
S. Hennell.  Presented by Mr. Warwick Draper.


WALL BOOK CASE 1.


6b.  Oil painting of Miss Everard, G. Eliot’s aunt.

                                                      Lent by Canon Evans.

Caricutured as Aunt Glegg (_Mill on the Floss_).



Holographs.


CASE 5.


10.  Holograph letters of George Eliot.

                                           _Lent by Mr. A. E. Fridlander_.

See typewritten copies exhibited.

11.  Holograph letter to Mrs. Bray.

                              _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_, _Kenilworth_.

Written Sept., 1876, after she returned from abroad; describing some part
of the journey.


CASE 6.


12.  Holograph letters.

                                  _Lent by Mr. Frederic Harrison_, _Bath_.

Two of the letters are on Positivist affairs; three refer to the legal
advice given to G. E. by Mr. Harrison in constructing the plot of _Felix
Holt_ (_George Eliot’s Life_, by Cross, v. 3: 258); the last letter was
written during her mourning for G. H. Lewes.


CASE 7.


15.  Favourite airs copied by G. Eliot.

                                       _Lent by Miss Evans_, _Leamington_.

Holographic throughout.

16.  Receipt given by G. E. in connection with her father’s will.

                                      Lent by Mr. W. P. Evans, Leamington.



Association Items and Books.


18.  Statuette of Christ, after Thorwaldsen.

                                            _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_.

At one time belonged to G. E., and is associated with her translation of
Strauss, Life of Jesus.

19.  Ring worn by George Eliot in memory of her mother.

                                       _Lent by Miss Evans_, _Leamington_.

Inscribed inside, “In memory of Christiana Evans.”

20.  Portrait of Mr. Edward Simms, G. Eliot’s music master.

                                               Lent by Coventry Libraries.

25.  Defoe’s “History Of the Devil.”

                                        _Lent by Canon Evans_, _Bedworth_.

G. E’s. own copy; it is referred to in _Mill on the Floss_, ch. 3.

25a.  A Kempis, De Imitatione Christi.

                                          Presented by Mr. Warwick Draper.

G. Eliot’s own copy, acquired at Coventry, 1849, given to Miss Sara S.
Hennell, 1851, and at Mrs. Bray’s death came into the possession of Mr.
Warwick Draper.  See _Mill on the Floss_, bk. 4, ch. 3.


CASE 8.


26.  Bacon’s “Essays,” 1828.

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

Autograph on flyleaf “Mary Ann Evans.”

27.  Newspaper cuttings collected by George Eliot.

                                              _Lent by Coventry Libraries_

With her own contributions to the “Coventry Herald” at the end.  The book
bears the signature, in pencil, of J. Hennell.

28.  “Silas Marner,” _First edition_, 1861.

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

Inscribed: “Caroline Bray from Mr. Lewes June 22 ’61,” in G. Eliot’s
handwriting.

29.  “The Legend of Jubal and other poems,” _First edition_, 1874.

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

Inscribed: “Caroline Bray May 1874, with the author’s compliments.”

30.  “Impressions of Theophrastus Such,” _First edition_, 1879.

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

Inscribed: “Caroline Bray, from the author, Eastbourne, May 29, 1879.”

31.  “Essays and leaves from a note-book,” _First edition_, 1884.

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

Inscribed.  “Mrs. Charles Bray from C. L. Lewes, Feb., 1884.”  C. L. L.
was the son of G. H. Lewes.


CASE 9.


32.  Pen used in Italy by G. Eliot, and covered there with silk and
beads.

                                        Lent by Mr. T. H. Allen, Coventry.

33.  Musical Box, reputed to be Uncle Pullet’s.

                                                 Lent by Mrs. W. W. Orton.

(_Mill on the Floss_), see newscutting.

34.  Water colour sketch of attic at Griff—Maggie Tulliver’s favourite
retreat.

                                      Lent by Mr. W. P. Evans, Leamington.


WALL BOOKCASE 2.

Silhouettes of Characters in “Janet’s Repentance.”


                                _Lent by Miss Robinson_, _Chilvers Coton_.

36.  Mrs. J. W. Buchanan (“Janet Dempster.”)

37.  James Buchanan (“Lawyer Dempster.”)

38.  Mrs. George Buchanan.

39.  Mrs. Robinson (“Mrs. Pettifer.”)

40.  T. Bull (“Mr. Fred Phipps.”)

41.  John Craddock (“Mr. Landor.”)

42.  John Towle (“Mr. Lowme.”)


WALL BOOKCASE 1.


50.  Portrait of Mrs. Robinson.

                                _Lent by Miss Robinson_, _Chilvers Coton_.

Mrs. R. was the original of Mrs. Pettifer (_Janet’s Repentance_).



Hennell and Bray Families.


CASE 9.


57.  Silhouette miniatures of Mr. and Mrs. James Hennell of Hackney.

                                            _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_.

Father and mother of Mrs. Bray and Miss Sara Hennell.

58.  Miniatures of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Hennell.

                                            _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_.


CASE 10.


58a.  Water colour sketch of Mrs. Hennell.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

59.  Portrait of Eliza Hennell.

                                            _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_.

Author of “Tale of the Alps,” also exhibited.

60.  Home of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Hennell, Coventry.

                                            _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_.

Uncle and Aunt of Mrs. Charles Bray.

61.  Wilson, Capt., “History of Prince Lee Boo,” 1812.

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

Inscribed: “Eliza Hennell, March 7th, 1815.”

62.  Hennell, Eliza.  “Tale of the Alps,” a romance [original MS.]

                                             _Lent by Coventry Libraries_.

This little work was composed by E. H., written in her own handwriting,
and bound by her when she was fourteen years of age.  Inscribed: “Eliza
Hennell, April 10th, 1819


CASE 11.


62a.  Three water colour sketches of the Hennells’ Hackney home, by Miss
Sara Hennell.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

62b.  Water colour sketch of Hackney chapel, attended by the Hennells, by
Miss Sara Hennell.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

63.  Portrait of Charles Bray, at 50.

                              _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_, _Kenilworth_.


WALL BOOKCASE 1.


64.  Mrs. Charles Bray, oil painting by Miss E. Martin.

                                           _Lent by Mr. A. E. Fridlander_.


CASE 12.


65.  Miniature of Mrs. Charles Bray.

                                      _Lent by Miss Scampton_, _Coventry_.

Painted by Mrs. Bray’s sister, Sara S. Hennell, c. 1836.  Mrs. Bray was
G. E’s Coventry friend.

65a.  Water colour portrait of Mrs. Bray, by Miss Sara S. Hennell.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

66.  Water colour portrait of Charles Bray.

                                            _Lent by Mrs. Herbert Draper_.

66a.  Miniature portrait of Mrs. Charles Bray, by herself, c. 1853.

                                             Lent by Mr. A. E. Fridlander.


CASE 13.


66b.  Water colour portrait of Miss Sara S. Hennell, by herself.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

67.  Portrait of Mrs. Bray and Miss Sara Hennell, 1897.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

68.  Water colour portrait of Miss Sara Hennell.

                                                 _Lent by Mrs. H. Draper_.


CASE 14.


68a.  C. C. Hennell’s “Inquiry.”

                                             Lent by Mr. A. E. Fridlander.

Inscribed, “Sara Sophia Hennell, 1st January, 1846.”

68b.  Three water colour sketches of “Rosehill,” the Coventry home of the
Brays.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.


CASE 15.


69.  Portrait of Miss Brabant, afterwards Mrs. C. C. Hennell.

                                                 _Lent by Mrs. H. Draper_.

70.  Portrait of Miss Julia Smith.

                                                 _Lent by Mrs. H. Draper_.

A valued friend of G. E., and sister of Mme. Bodichon.

71.  Three water colour sketches by Miss Sara. S. Hennell.

                                               Lent by Miss Mary Scampton.

Made during a Scottish tour with G. Eliot and Mr. and Mrs. Bray.


CASE 16.


72.  Romola, 3 vols., extra illustrated.

                                               Lent by Coventry Libraries.



PICTURES ON WALL.


73.  Water colour of Griff Hollows, “The Red Deeps,” 1876, by Miss Patty
Townsend.

                                             Lent by Nuneaton Art Gallery.

74.  Water colour sketch—Lawyer Dempster’s house, by Thomas Wakeman.

                                             Lent by Nuneaton Art Gallery.

75.  Water colour drawing—Chilvers Coton church, by Thomas Wakeman.

                                             Lent by Nuneaton Art Gallery.

76.  Water colour drawing—South Farm, Arbury, by Thomas Wakeman.

                                             Lent by Nuneaton Art Gallery.

76.  Series of photographs of G. Eliot country.

                                    Lent by Miss Robinson, Chilvers Coton.



PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY
OF
GEORGE ELIOT’S WARWICKSHIRE
BY MEMBERS OF THE
COVENTRY PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY.


Arbury, South Farm.


                                                         _Photographed by_

Arbury Farm is on the Arbury Estate.  Robert Evans, the novelist’s
father, lived there from 1806 to 1820 as land agent to the estate.
George Eliot was born here on November 22nd, 1819, but was taken to live
at Griff House four months’ later.  The farm has been much altered.

1.  Arbury Farm, view from garden

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

2.  Arbury Farm, view from garden

                                                        Mr. G. H. OSBORNE.



Griff House.


George Eliot’s home from 1820 to 1841.  The house has not been greatly
altered.  “It was a delightful place to grow up in, and over and above
the charms of the house, farm, garden and fields, there was the high road
just in front of the gate, where she and her brother stood and watched
the mail-coach pass twice a day.”  At the back of the house is “a large,
old-fashioned farm-house garden, where flowers, vegetables, fruits and
trees grow in friendly confusion—just the kind of garden in which Hetty
Sorrel gathered red currants.”—_Deakin_, _Early Life of G. E._, p. 5, 9.
The dairy is known as “Mrs. Poyser’s,” but it was erected after G. Eliot
left Griff.  The “Round Pond,” into which Maggie Tulliver pushed Lucy and
where Maggie and Tom used to fish, is in a field adjoining.  Griff
Hollows is the “Red Deeps” of the _Mill on the Floss_.

3.  Griff House

                                                         Mr. G. H. OSBORNE

The window of the attic to which Maggie fled when in trouble (_Mill on
the Floss_) is shown on the gable end, where the flagstaff is fixed.

4–5.  Griff House

                                                       Mr. A. W. HOARE (4)
                                                     Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY (5)

6–7.  Griff House

                                                        Miss M. IMISON (6)
                                                       Mr. A. W. HOARE (7)

8.  Griff House, dairy

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

9.  Griff House, dairy, interior

                                                          Mr. L. P. WILSON

The Dairy is known as “Mrs. Poyser’s,” but it was erected after G. Eliot
left Griff.

10.  Griff House, garden seat

                                                          Mr. A. H. HOWELL

    The little summer house at the end of the Yew-tree walk; in just such
    a place Dorothea found her husband after his death.

                                                         —(_Middlemarch_).

11.  Griff House, round pond

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

The pool into which Maggie Tulliver pushed Lucy, and where Maggie and Tom
used to fish, is in a field adjoining the house.

12.  Griff Hollows

                                                          Mr. L. P. WILSON

13.  Griff Hollows

                                                            Miss M. IMISON

The “Red Deeps” of _The Mill on the Floss_, the meeting place of Maggie
Tulliver and Philip Wakem.



George Eliot’s Schooldays.


14.  Griff, the Dame School

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

George Eliot’s first school, which she attended with her brother until
she was five years old.  Her second school (Miss Lathom’s Boarding School
at Attleborough) has not been identified.

15–16.  Nuneaton, The Elms

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

George Eliot’s third school, near Nuneaton Church.  She attended it with
her sister Chrissy until 1832, when she went to Coventry.

17.  Coventry, house of Rev. Francis Franklin, Cow Lane

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

In 1832 was transferred from The Elms, Nuneaton, to a school in Coventry,
kept by the two Miss Franklins, daughters of The Rev. Francis Franklin,
Minister of Cow Lane Chapel.  Mr. Franklin was the prototype of Rufus
Lyon (_Felix Holt_).

18.  Coventry, back of minister’s house, Cow Lane

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

19.  Coventry, memorial tablet to Rev. Francis Franklin, Cow Lane Chapel

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

20.  Bust of George Whitfield, at one time in Mr. Franklin’s house

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

    “A black bust with a coloured face, which for some reason or other
    was covered with green gauze.”  “That,” said Mr. Lyon, “is the
    eminent George Whitfield . . . Providence ordained that the good man
    should squint; and my daughter has not yet learned to bear with this
    infirmity.”—_Felix Holt_, ch. v.

21.  Coventry, Nantglyn, Warwick Row

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

The Misses Franklin’s school was at this address.  George Eliot left this
school in 1835.



George Eliot’s Coventry Home and Circle.


In March, 1841, Robert Evans and his daughter came to live in the
Foleshill Road, until her father died in 1849.  The house is known as
Bird Grove, and has been much altered.

22.  Coventry, Bird Grove

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

22a.  Coventry, gates of Bird Grove

                                                           Mr. J. BRADBURY

23.  Coventry, Bird Grove, window of George Eliot’s study over entrance

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

24–25.  Coventry, Bird Grove, study and bedroom

                                                      Mr. A. W. HOARE (24)
                                                    Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY (25)

26.  Coventry, Bird Grove, room used by G. Eliot as drawing room

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

27.  Coventry, Bird Grove, study

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

28.  Coventry, Bird Grove, interior

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

29.  Coventry, “Rosehill”

                                                          Mr. L. P. WILSON

George Eliot first visited “Rosehill,” the home of the Brays, on November
2nd, 1841.  There is an interesting account of this visit in Bray’s
_Autobiography_, p. 76.  The Brays and the Hennells exerted an important
influence on her life.

30.  Coventry, Ivy Cottage,

                                                          Mr. L. P. WILSON

The home of the Hennell family; adjoins “Rosehill.”



Scenes of Clerical Life.


Nuneaton is the Milby of _Janet’s Repentance_.  There is an amusing
description of a Sunday morning service at the church at the beginning of
the story.

31–32.  Nuneaton church, exterior and interior

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

33–34.  Nuneaton church and vicarage

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

35.  Nuneaton, Lawyer Dempster’s house

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

No. 35 Church Street, the Orchard Street of _Janet’s Repentance_.  The
original of Dempster was a Mr. Buchanan.

36–37.  Nuneaton, Dempster’s house, other views

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

38.  Nuneaton, garden of Dempster’s house

                                                          Mr. A. H. HOWELL

39.  Nuneaton, grotto in Dempster’s garden

                                                          Mr. A. H. HOWELL

40.  Chilvers Coton church

                                                            Miss C. NORTON

The “Shepperton” church of _Amos Barton_.  George Eliot was baptised
here.  The tenor bell was hung in her memory (1909).  “The little flight
of steps with their wooden rail running up the outer wall and leading to
the children’s gallery,” is still in existence.

41.  Chilvers Coton church

                                                          Mr. A. H. HOWELL

42.   Chilvers Coton church, interior

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

43.   Chilvers Coton church, children’s gallery

                                                         Mr. G. H. OSBORNE

44.  Chilvers Coton vicarage, garden

                                                          Mr. A. H. HOWELL

The open window belongs to the room in which “Milly Barton” died.

45.  Chilvers Coton vicarage and church

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

46.  Chilvers Coton churchyard, Emma Gwyther’s grave

                                                         Mr. S. T. SHIPWAY

Mrs. Gwyther was the original of “Milly Barton” of _The Sad fortunes of
Amos Barton_, one of the most touching stories in English literature.
The inscription is transcribed in full in Olcott’s _George Eliot_,
_scenes and people in her novels_.

47.  Chilvers Coton churchyard, Emma Gwyther’s grave

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

48–48a.  Chilvers Coton churchyard, tomb of Robert (“Adam Bede”) and
Christiana Evans.

                                                      Mr. A. W. HOARE (48)
                                                         Mr. A. HUNT (48a)

49.  Chilvers Coton churchyard, tomb of Sarah and Isaac Pearson Evans
(“Tom Tulliver” and his wife)

                                                          Mr. A. H. HOWELL

50.  Chilvers Coton church, extract from parish register

                                                          Mr. W. H. STOKES

Recording the marriage of Edward Clark and G. Eliot’s sister Chrissy,
“Celia” of _Middlemarch_.  The signatures include those of the Rev. John
Gwyther (“Amos Barton”), Robert Evans (“Adam Bede”), Mary Ann Evans (the
novelist), and Isaac P. Evans (“Tom Tulliver”—see No. 49).

51.  Arbury Hall

                                                      Mr. W. H. MCLAUCHLAN
                                                      and Mr. W. H. STOKES

A copy of an older photograph; the view is not the same to-day.  This is
the “Cheverel Manor” of _Mr. Gilfil’s Love Story_.  Arbury is the home of
the Newdegate family.  Robert Evans, father of George Eliot, was land
agent for the Newdegate estate.  This “castellated house of grey-tinted
stone is described beautifully in the _Love Story_, ch. 2.  See also
three books by Lady Newdigate-Newdegate: _The Cheverels of Cheverel
Manor_; _Gossip from a Muniment Room_; and _Cavalier and Puritan_.

52.  Arbury Park, George Eliot Memorial

                                                          Mr. W. H. STOKES

Erected by Mr. F. A. Newdigate-Newdegate, M.P.  Of rough grey stone,
recording the dates and places of her birth and death, and the words
“Lest we forget.”

52a.  Arbury Park, Caterina’s Walk

                                                      Mr. W. H. MCLAUCHLAN
                                                      and Mr. W. H. STOKES

Ch. 7. of _Mr. Gilfil’s Love Story_.

52b.  Arbury Park, The Rookery

                                                      Mr. W. H. MCLAUCHLAN
                                                      and Mr. W. H. STOKES

“The thick shades of the distant Rookery” where Caterina found the body
of Captain Wybrow.

53.  Astley church

                                                      Mr. W. H. MCLAUCHLAN
                                                      and Mr. W. H. STOKES

Astley is the “Knebley” church of _Mr. Gilfil’s Love Story_—“a wonderful
little church, with a checkered pavement which had once rung to the iron
tread of military monks.”  (ch. 1).

53a.  Astley castle

                                                           Mr. O. W. BARRY
                                                      and Mr. W. H. HOWELL

“Knebley” castle.

53b.  Astley castle and gateway

                                                      Mr. W. H. MCLAUCHLAN
                                                      and Mr. W. H. STOKES

53c.  Astley castle, the moat

                                                      Mr. W. H. MCLAUCHLAN
                                                      and Mr. W. H. STOKES



“Adam Bede.”


53d.  Corley Hall farm, gates

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

    “Evidently that gate is never opened; . . . and if it were opened, it
    is so rusty, that the force necessary to turn it on its hinges would
    be likely to pull down the square stone-built pillars, to the
    detriment of the two stone lionesses which grin with a doubtful
    carnivorous affability above a coat of arms, surmounting each of the
    pillars.”—_Adam Bede_, ch. 6.

53e.  Corley Hall farm, row of walnut trees

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

    “That grand double row of walnut trees on the right-hand of the
    enclosure.”—_Adam Bede_, ch. 6.



“Silas Marner.”


54–55.  Bulkington, single hand-loom at

                                                           Mr. A. W. HOARE

Bulkington is possibly the village George Eliot had in mind in describing
Raveloe (_Silas Marner_).  The photographs show a hand-loom used in Silas
Marner’s day.





*** End of this Doctrine Publishing Corporation Digital Book "George Eliot Centenary, November 1919 - Catalogue of Relics, Manuscrips, Prints, Paintings, Photographs & Books relating to George Eliot" ***

Doctrine Publishing Corporation provides digitized public domain materials.
Public domain books belong to the public and we are merely their custodians.
This effort is time consuming and expensive, so in order to keep providing
this resource, we have taken steps to prevent abuse by commercial parties,
including placing technical restrictions on automated querying.

We also ask that you:

+ Make non-commercial use of the files We designed Doctrine Publishing
Corporation's ISYS search for use by individuals, and we request that you
use these files for personal, non-commercial purposes.

+ Refrain from automated querying Do not send automated queries of any sort
to Doctrine Publishing's system: If you are conducting research on machine
translation, optical character recognition or other areas where access to a
large amount of text is helpful, please contact us. We encourage the use of
public domain materials for these purposes and may be able to help.

+ Keep it legal -  Whatever your use, remember that you are responsible for
ensuring that what you are doing is legal. Do not assume that just because
we believe a book is in the public domain for users in the United States,
that the work is also in the public domain for users in other countries.
Whether a book is still in copyright varies from country to country, and we
can't offer guidance on whether any specific use of any specific book is
allowed. Please do not assume that a book's appearance in Doctrine Publishing
ISYS search  means it can be used in any manner anywhere in the world.
Copyright infringement liability can be quite severe.

About ISYS® Search Software
Established in 1988, ISYS Search Software is a global supplier of enterprise
search solutions for business and government.  The company's award-winning
software suite offers a broad range of search, navigation and discovery
solutions for desktop search, intranet search, SharePoint search and embedded
search applications.  ISYS has been deployed by thousands of organizations
operating in a variety of industries, including government, legal, law
enforcement, financial services, healthcare and recruitment.



Home