Home
  By Author [ A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z |  Other Symbols ]
  By Title [ A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z |  Other Symbols ]
  By Language
all Classics books content using ISYS

Download this book: [ ASCII | HTML | PDF ]

Look for this book on Amazon


We have new books nearly every day.
If you would like a news letter once a week or once a month
fill out this form and we will give you a summary of the books for that week or month by email.

´╗┐Title: Fredericksburg and Its Many Points of Interest
Author: Kishpaugh, R. A.
Language: English
As this book started as an ASCII text book there are no pictures available.
Copyright Status: Not copyrighted in the United States. If you live elsewhere check the laws of your country before downloading this ebook. See comments about copyright issues at end of book.

*** Start of this Doctrine Publishing Corporation Digital Book "Fredericksburg and Its Many Points of Interest" ***

This book is indexed by ISYS Web Indexing system to allow the reader find any word or number within the document.



  FREDERICKSBURG AND ITS MANY POINTS OF INTEREST


  "Proud of the marks and monuments it bears to
  testify that its association with the country
  is such that her history may not be written
  without the name of Fredericksburg."


  R. A. KISHPAUGH, Publisher
  FREDERICKSBURG. VIRGINIA


  Copyrighted 1912



[Illustration: BIRD'S-EYE VIEW OF FREDERICKSBURG FROM STAFFORD HEIGHTS]



FREDERICKSBURG.


Historical Sketch.

The visitor to Fredericksburg to-day finds, instead of the easy going town
of ante-bellum days, an entirely new place risen from the ruins of war and
time, new buildings, up-to-date streets and other improvements making a
modern city of the present generation. The object of this little book is
to furnish to the traveler, facts in the history of Fredericksburg, its
many places of interest as well as an up-to-date guide to the city, and to
extend to all a "welcome to Fredericksburg."

The exact time the site of what is now Fredericksburg was visited by white
men is not known, but the general impression is that the first trip was in
1608 (one year after the landing at Jamestown). Capt. John Smith, the true
founder and father of Virginia, with a crew of twelve men and an indian of
a Potomac tribe for a guide, came to the falls of the Rappahannock just
above where Fredericksburg was afterward located, and had a severe fight
with the Rappahannocks, whom he described as the most courageous and
formidable savages he had yet encountered.

The early history of Fredericksburg is full of events[1] along the general
history of the country, it being a centre of trade, the river being wider
and deeper than the present day, and that ocean going barges and
schooners, laden with cargoes from the West Indies, Liverpool and other
ports came to Fredericksburg, and took on for their return voyage
consignments of tobacco and wheat to English and Scotch merchants. A fort
was maintained near the falls of the Rappahannock, and with 250 men the
town was legally founded in 1727 and was named for Frederick, son of
George the Second.

    [1] See Quinn's History of Fredericksburg.

Before the introduction of railroads, trade was carried on by what was
known as "Road Wagons." These wagons were of huge dimensions, their curved
bodies being, before and behind, at least twelve feet from the ground.
They had canvas covers and were drawn by four and often six horses. During
the period from 1800 to the civil war, as many as three hundred was often
seen on the streets and in the wagon yards of Fredericksburg at one time.
The country, to the Blue Ridge mountains, even to counties in the Valley
of Virginia, was thus supplied from Fredericksburg.

The part which Fredericksburg played in the civil war is so well known,
that we will be content with a brief reference. As soon as the Confederate
capitol was removed to Richmond, it became at once, and continued during
the entire war, the objective point of the Federal invasion of the South.
It was apparent, therefore, from an inspection of the map, that
Fredericksburg would necessarily witness a bloody act in that direful
drama; for she was situated half-way on the direct route between
Washington and Richmond.

If ever anywhere grim-visaged war showed his horrid front, it was at this
foredoomed, devoted town. She was the immediate theatre of one of the
bloodiest battles of the war, on December 13, 1862. In the cannonade that
ushered in that battle, a hundred and eighty guns, some of them seige
pieces, carrying seventy pound projectiles, for ten mortal hours poured a
pitiless storm of shot and shell upon the helpless town. No such
cannonade, save that which preceded Pickett's charge at Gettysburg, was
ever heard upon this continent; nay, ever heard upon this earth. Four and
a half months after that bloody baptism, the town witnessed the desperate,
but unsuccessful, endeavor of Gen Sedgwick to march his corps of thirty
thousand men to the relief of Hooker, at Chancellorsville; and she was the
hospital for fifteen thousand wounded men from Grant's army in the
Wilderness campaign of May, 1864.

If lines be drawn from Fredericksburg to Chancellorsville; from
Chancellorsville to the Wilderness battlefields; from the Wilderness
battlefield to the Bloody Angle, near Spotsylvania Court-House; and from
there to the starting point at Fredericksburg, these lines will include a
space that is smaller in area than the District of Columbia. On this area
more blood was shed, and more men killed, than upon any area of equal
dimensions, in the world.

Early in December, 1862, Burnside, urged by the clamor of the Northern
press and populace, resolved to cross the Rappahannock, and despite the
near approach of winter to assume the offensive. At this time the attempt
of Federal gun boats to pass up the river to Fredericksburg had been
frustrated by Stuart and some field batteries.

On December 13, 1862, Burnside started to cross the Rappahannock. Never
did a general or army await the attack of a more numerous enemy with
greater confidence than did Lee and the Confederates at Fredericksburg.

[Illustration: BROMPTON (THE OLD MARYE MANSION) Now the Residence of Capt.
M. B. Rowe.]

When the two pre-arranged signal guns announced that the shelling of the
town was about to begin, long streams of carriages and wagons, bearing
fugitive women and children, and long processions on foot of those who
could not procure vehicles, all seeking temporary shelter in the woods and
wilderness, passed the camp fires of the Confederate soldiers in the rear
of the town.

[Illustration: FREDERICKSBURG IN 1862 Just Before the Bombardment, and
After the Car Bridge was Burnt by the Confederate Army]

[Illustration: SUNKEN ROAD--SHOWING COBB MONUMENT]

Shortly after nine o'clock the sun shining out with almost Indian Summer
warmth quickly dispelled the mists which hid the opposing armies, and as
the white folds dissolved, Jackson's men beheld the plains beneath them
dark with a moving mass of more than 40,000 foes, and from the array of
batteries upon the Stafford Heights a storm of shot and shell burst upon
the Confederate lines. The Federal army advanced within 800 yards of the
foot of the opposing ridge when suddenly the silent woods awoke to life
and the flash and thunder of more than sixty guns revealed to the Federals
the magnitude of the task they had undertaken. Column after column
advanced only to be repulsed with terrible loss, until about 12 o'clock
the Irish Brigade, under General Meagher, advanced at the spot on the
Sunken Road which is now marked by the monument to General Cobb, he having
fallen earlier in the day, and boldly charging across the shot-swept
plains, opposed to it were men as fearless and as staunch; behind that
rude stone breastworks, those who were "bone of their bone and flesh of
their flesh," as some of the soldiers of Cobb's Brigade were Irish like
themselves. On the morning of battle General Meagher had bade his men deck
their caps with sprigs of evergreen "to remind them," he said "of the land
of their birth." The symbol was recognized by their countrymen, and "Oh,
God, what a pity! Here comes Meagher's fellows," was the cry in the
Confederate ranks. The rapidly thinning line now was within a hundred
yards of their goal, suddenly a sheet of flame leaped from the parapet, to
their glory be it told, though scores be swept away, falling in their
tracks, like corn before the sicle, the ever thinning ranks dashed on. Of
the 1,200 officers and men in this gallant charge, 937 had fallen; one
body, that of an officer, was found within fifteen feet of the parapet.

[Illustration: CHANCELLORSVILLE HOUSE AS IT APPEARED DURING THE WAR]

It is due to the truth of history to say that not in all the annals of
war, neither in the "charge of the six hundred" at Balaklava, nor in
Pickett's charge at Gettysburg was there ever displayed a more signal
instance of dauntless courage than was exhibited by the men who made these
hopeless attempts to carry Marye's Heights.

Under the cover of darkness and storm the Federals withdrew across the
river two days later and resumed their position on the Stafford heights.

[Illustration: SALEM CHURCH]

[Illustration: "STONEWALL" JACKSON MONUMENT]

Fredericksburg played an important part in the battle of Chancellorsville,
on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of May, 1863. When General Hooker marched
ninety thousand men across the Rapidan at Germania and Ely's Ford and
entrenched them behind breast-works in the impenetrable jungle of stunted
growth that screened and protected the plateau in front of the
Chancellorsville House, he left thirty thousand men, under General
Sedgwick, on the Stafford heights, opposite Fredericksburg. General Lee
left Early with 8,500 muskets (a part of Jackson's corps) to hold back
Sedgwick, while he marched with the main body of Jackson's corps and two
divisions of Longstreet's corps to confront Hooker at Chancellorsville.
These two divisions of Longstreet's corps were those of Anderson and
McLaws. Longstreet, himself, with the other two divisions of his corps,
was down on the Blackwater, below Richmond, and did not participate in the
battle of Chancellorsville. Jackson was mortally wounded at nightfall on
Saturday, the 2nd of May, after routing and driving back in wild panic,
the right wing of Hooker's army. The next morning (Sunday) a union was
effected between Jackson's divisions and the two divisions of Longstreet's
corps, and a combined, impetuous assault carried the Federal position in
front of Chancellorsville, and the beaten enemy retreated to their second
line of breastworks. Just as General Lee was preparing (on Sunday, at
noon) to renew the assault, word reached him that Sedgwick had crossed the
river and carried the Marye Heights, and was marching on Chancellorsville
to join Hooker. The Confederate commander, in the exercise of what a great
critic of the art of war, has characterized as the highest display of
military genius, paused in his pursuit of Hooker, and, leaving Stuart in
command of Jackson's corps, in front of the disheartened Federal troops at
Chancellorsville, led the two divisions of Longstreet down the
Fredericksburg road, to unite with Early in frustrating the purpose of
Sedgwick to join his forces with those of Hooker. This was accomplished on
Monday, the 4th of May, when Sedgwick was driven across the Rappahannock,
at Bank's Ford. There was a severe engagement that raged around the "Salem
Church," four miles out from Fredericksburg, upon the old turnpike road.
Captain Featherstone, who brought a splendid Alabama company to Virginia,
at the outbreak of the war, occupied the church with his company, and did
excellent work in holding back Sedgwick until Lee arrived.

[Illustration: SEDGWICK MONUMENT]

Gen. R. E. Lee, in speaking of the privations and sacrifices incurred by
the citizens of Fredericksburg, said: "History presents no instance of a
people exhibiting a purer and more unselfish patriotism, or a higher
spirit of fortitude and courage than was evinced by the people of
Fredericksburg. They cheerfully incurred great hardships and privations,
and surrendered their homes and property to destruction, rather than yield
them in the hands of the enemies of their country."

[Illustration: MONUMENT TO GEN. HUGH MERCER]

Since the close of the Civil War, and the equally distressing war of the
reconstruction, Fredericksburg has entered upon a career of commercial and
industrial prosperity, far exceeding any ever experienced in her
ante-bellum days. Her population has largely increased. Situated half way
between Richmond and Washington. Five trunk lines with twenty-six trains
daily, run through the city, thus giving prompt and easy access to all the
large eastern and northern cities, while the water transportation puts
this section in cheap reach of the markets of the eastern seaboard. A
splendid water-power with the present capacity of 4,000 hydro-electric
horsepower with an ultimate development of 35,000 horse power, furnishes
cheap power to manufacturing plants located in the city. Mr. Frank J.
Gould, the owner of this immense power, has completed a survey for an
electric line from Richmond, Va., to Washington, D. C. This line will give
Fredericksburg direct communication by electric railway, with Washington,
D. C., Richmond, Va., and Petersburg, Va. Fifteen miles of this line north
of Richmond is now in operation.

[Illustration: NEW POSTOFFICE]

The United States government has erected a handsome Government postoffice.

The State of Virginia has established at Fredericksburg a State Normal and
Industrial School for Women, this consists of two handsome buildings
situated on part of the historic Marye's Heights.

A good High School with new modern school building, the Fredericksburg
College and two libraries furnish educational opportunities for the youths
of both sexes.

[Illustration: R. F. & P. R. R. PASSENGER DEPOT]

Four banks, a silk mill, pants factory, flour mills, foundry and machine
works, sumac mills, pickle factory, buggy, wagon and wood-working plants,
cigar factories, extract works, plow manufactories, brick yards, ice
factories, bark mills, bone mills, granite works, mattress factory,
excelsior mills, two daily and two tri-weekly newspapers, telegraph, mail,
express and freight facilities unexcelled, all help to make Fredericksburg
an industrial center of the present generation.

Good roads to Fredericksburg through the various adjoining counties open
up a larger territory for trade than ever before, and with the completion
of the National Highway from Quebec to Miami, Florida, which passes
through Fredericksburg, its many points of interest will be opened up to
the tourist.

The city is amply supplied with water, pumped from the river into a
reservoir higher than any of the houses, while the water from the old
"Poplar Spring" is also used. The city owns and operates Electric and Gas
Plants, and there is also an Incandescent Light Plant, owned by a private
corporation, for lighting houses.

The town offers inducements to enterprising capitalists, and to those who
are seeking homes in the genial climate of the South.



POINTS OF INTEREST.


Chatham

One of the most interesting points of historical interest to all who visit
Fredericksburg is the magnificent old Colonial estate of Chatham,
residence of A. Randolph Howard, Esq., beautifully situated upon Stafford
Heights overlooking the town.

[Illustration]

The house was built in 1730 by William Fitzhugh, upon a small grant of a
few hundred thousand acres from King George of England.

The architect is believed to have been the famous Sir Christopher Wrenn,
to whom is due the adaptation of the English renaissance of the Grecian
period to our Southland needs, and which has resulted in the type now
known as Colonial. Chatham is conceded to be the purest and most beautiful
specimen of the Georgian Colonial architecture in America.

Through its lordly halls have trod the beauty and chivalry of generations
of the most famous families of Virginia.

Upon its famous race-track such horses as Boston, Lexington, Timoleon, Sir
Archy, Sir Charles and hundreds of others fought out their races, while
their owners were guests of Colonel Fitzhugh.

[Illustration: ENTRANCE TO NATIONAL CEMETERY Showing Monument Erected by
Gen. Daniel Butterfield to 5th Corps, Army of Potomac]

At Chatham General Washington paid his addresses to the widow Curtis,
General Robert E. Lee whispered sweet words of love to a niece of Mrs.
Fitzhugh, and the immortal Lincoln reviewed the Army of the Potomac before
the battle of Fredericksburg.

General Burnside established his headquarters at Chatham, and at the foot
of its terraced lawns one of the pontoon bridges were thrown across the
river over which many a brave man passed never to return.


The National Cemetery

Located on Willis Hill, a part of the historic Marye's Heights,
overlooking Fredericksburg and the beautiful Rappahannock Valley, the
Union soldiers who were killed in the various battles around
Fredericksburg and those who died in camp are interred. This cemetery has
the largest number of interments of any in the country, there being
15,295, of these about 2,500 are known and their names, regiment and state
are registered in a book in the superintendent's office.

Just to the left entering the cemetery General Daniel Butterfield has
erected a beautiful monument to the valor of the Fifth Army Corps, which
he commanded.

To the right at the top of the hill is a monument to the 127th Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Colonel W. W. Jennings, Commanding.

In the center of the cemetery the State of Pennsylvania has erected a
monument to commemorate the charge of General Humphrey's Division, Fifth
Corps, in the battle of Fredericksburg, 1862.


The "Sentry Box"

On lower Main street was the residence of General George Weedon of
Revolutionary fame, and afterwards occupied by Colonel Hugh Mercer, a son
of General Hugh Mercer, who was killed at the battle of Princeton.

The name "Sentry Box" being applied on account of the unobstructed view
for some distance. It being used during the Revolutionary, War of 1812 and
Civil war, as a place to watch and give the alarm of the approach of the
enemy.


Rising Sun Tavern

One of the oldest buildings in Fredericksburg. General George Weeden,
years before the Revolutionary war, kept hotel in this house and was the
stopping place of Washington, LaFayette and other Colonial dignitaries.

[Illustration]

The Rising Sun Tavern is now owned by the Society for the Preservation of
Virginia Antiquities, who have renovated the building, but retaining in
every way the old style of architecture used in wooden buildings used in
the eighteenth century.


The Washington Farm

Looking directly across the river from the "Sentry Box" can be seen the
Washington Farm. This is where Geo. Washington was raised to manhood, and
it is said where he threw the silver dollar across the Rappahannock, also
where he chopped the famous cherry tree. One of the pontoon bridges used
in 1862 was built from this farm.


Kenmore

"Kenmore" was built in 1740 by Colonel Fielding Lewis, an officer who
commanded a division at the siege of Yorktown where Cornwallis
surrendered. It is said the bricks used to build this house were brought
from England, but this cannot be confirmed, but the interior stucco work
of this colonial mansion has stood for over a century and is supposed to
have been done by expert Englishmen.

[Illustration]

It was to Kenmore that Colonel Fielding Lewis took Bettie Washington,
(George's sister) as a bride.

[Illustration: VIEW IN CONFEDERATE CEMETERY]


The Mercer Monument

General Hugh Mercer, killed at the battle of Princeton, 1777, while
leading his men against the British. Over one hundred years after an
appropriation had been made by Congress, it evidently being overlooked, in
1906 the United States government erected this monument to his memory.

Situated in the center of Washington Avenue in the attitude of a patriot,
drawn sword in hand, he stands on a pedestal, ready to strike in defense
of his country. (See page 12 for illustration.)

General Mercer conducted a drug store in the building now standing, corner
Main and Amelia Streets, and lived at the "Sentry Box" with George Weeden,
until the beginning of the Revolutionary War.


Confederate Cemetery

The first Ladies Memorial Association was organized at Fredericksburg in
1865, and in response to liberal contributions the present cemetery was
laid out, and the Confederate dead who were buried at various places were
gathered together and each grave marked.

In 1874 the corner stone was laid of the monument erected on a mound in
the center of the space. This monument is about 6 feet high made of gray
granite, and on top has a life size statue of a Confederate soldier at
dress parade. On the front of the monument is the inscription "To the
Confederate Dead."

About 2,500 are buried here, of which about 600 are unknown.


[Illustration: MONUMENT TO MARY THE MOTHER OF WASHINGTON]

Mary Washington Monument

About a stone throw from Kenmore, Mary, the mother of Washington is
buried. This spot was selected by herself, declaring it to be preferable
to any location, as it could never be cultivated, being near a rocky crag,
a part of the original Kenmore land.

[Illustration: MONUMENT ERECTED IN 1833]

After the remains of the venerable matron had lain for forty-four years, a
monument was partially erected to her memory by Silas E. Burrows, a
wealthy New York merchant. The corner-stone was laid with imposing pomp on
May 7, 1833. Andrew Jackson, President of the U. S., several members of
his Cabinet, numbers of distinguished citizens from Washington, the Marine
Band and military came to swell the pageant. This monument of white
Italian marble was never finished, and for more than sixty years laid a
prey to the relic hunters and ravishes of time.

In 1889, the nation was startled with the announcement that the grave and
unfinished monument to Mary Washington would be sold at public auction
from the steps of the Capitol at Washington, indignant meetings were held
and the sale abandoned by its originators. The women of America organized
to erect a monument to the memory of their fellow countrywoman, which they
did; unveiling May 10, 1894, a monument fifty feet high, and comprising a
monolith of forty feet, standing on bases eleven feet square and ten feet
high. The whole shaft is of Barre granite and of the finest workmanship.
President Cleveland, many of his Cabinet, the Governor of Virginia, the
Marine Band, companies of military and thousands of people witnessed the
ceremony.

Just back of the monument is a ledge of rocks known as "Meditation Rock,"
where she used often to resort for private reading, meditation and prayer,
under the shade of the beautiful grove of Oak trees.


Mary Washington House

This plain, old-fashioned dwelling on the corner of Charles and Lewis
streets was the home of Mary the mother of Washington until her death in
1789.

[Illustration]

Up to the death of her husband she lived just across the river, opposite
Fredericksburg, at the "Washington Farm" and it was in these two homes the
illustrious George was raised to manhood.

This building is owned by the society for the Preservation of Virginia
Antiquities, who have put the same in thorough condition, all of the
original features of architecture and general appearance being preserved.

The front room in which she died is furnished as used by her in her
lifetime. This building is open to visitors for a small sum.


The Masonic Lodge

[Illustration]

The Masonic Lodge, in which George Washington received his first degree as
a Mason, November 4, 1752, has a cabinet of some rare and valuable relics.
Some of which are the Bible that Geo. Washington was obligated on (printed
1668), a lock of his hair, autograph passes given by him during the
Revolutionary War, the old minute book giving his initiation, passing and
raising, an oil portrait of George Washington, painted by Gilbert Stuart,
the old parlor chairs of his mother, Mary Washington, and many others,
which can be seen free of charge by applying to the Master of the Lodge.


Other Places of Interest

PRESIDENT MONROE HOUSE--Situated on Princess Anne Street one block above
the passenger depot is the old story and a half frame house to which
President James Monroe held a pocket deed to qualify him for his seat in
the House of Burgesses.

PAUL JONES HOUSE--The only home in America of John Paul Jones, on Main
Street near the depot.

[Illustration: INSIDE THE NATIONAL CEMETERY Showing Monument to
Commemorate the Charge of General Humphrey's Division 1862]

FEDERAL HILL--on Hanover street. In the latter part of the eighteenth
century the home of Thomas Reade Roots, a distinguished lawyer of that
time.

PLANTER'S HOTEL--Used before and during the Civil war as a hotel, at the
corner of Commerce and Charles Streets. In front of this hotel is a stone
block, placed there many years before the Civil war, used for the sale and
annual hire of slaves.

HOME OF GEN. DANIEL D. WHEELER--of the U. S. Army on the east side of
lower Main street. Built about 1765. Was the home of Dr. Charles Mortimer
who was physician to Mary Washington also the first Mayor of
Fredericksburg.

STEVENS HOUSE--Situated on "Sunken Road" the Confederate line of battle
1862-63 in front of fence. General Thos. R. R. Cobb, killed just inside of
yard.

ST. GEORGE'S BURYING GROUND--Colonel John Dandridge, the father of Martha
Washington was buried here in 1756. Wm. Paul, a brother of John Paul Jones
buried 1773. It is said that Fielding Lewis is buried under the steps of
the church. A number of remarkable tombstones can be found in the yard,
the inscription of one of which has puzzled all who have seen it, "Charles
M. Rathrock, departed this life Sept. 29th, 1084, aged three years."

CITY HALL--Built 1813--Used in 1824 for a grand ball and reception to
General Lafayette.

OLD EXCHANGE HOTEL (Now known as Hotel Frederick) built in 1837, part
destroyed by fire 1850, rebuilt but not used as a hotel until after the
Civil war. During the war was used as a hospital.

MASONIC GRAVEYARD--On corner of George and Charles Streets. General Lewis
Littleton was buried here in 1802.

[Illustration: Methodist Church, Baptist Church, Presbyterian Church, St.
George's Episcopal Church]

MARY WASHINGTON HOSPITAL--Erected by the ladies of Fredericksburg. Corner
stone was laid April 14th, 1899, a day to commemorate George Washington's
last visit to Fredericksburg and his dying mother. The corner-stone is a
portion of the old Mary Washington monument begun in 1833. Situated
overlooking the river and directly opposite Chatham. One of the pontoon
bridges of 1862 was directly in front of the hospital.

GUNNERY SPRING--The legend of Gunnery Spring is that all that drink of the
water will return to drink again some day. A visit to Fredericksburg is
not complete without a visit to this old spring.


Fredericksburg Churches

St. George's Episcopal Church--corner Princess Anne and George Streets, R.
J. McBryde, Rector.

Trinity Episcopal Church--corner Prince Edward and Hanover streets, Dr. H.
H. Barber, Rector.

The Presbyterian Church--corner Princess Anne and George streets, Rev. J.
H. Henderlite, Pastor.

The Baptist Church--corner Princess Anne and Amelia streets, Rev. R. A.
Williams, Pastor.

The Methodist Church--on Hanover street, Rev. J. R. Jacobs, Pastor.

St. Mary's Catholic Church--on Princess Anne street, Father Perrig,
Pastor.

[Illustration: The Will of Mary Washington is on exhibition at the Clerk's
office of the Corporation Court. This is in a good state of preservation.]



Some Interesting Facts

The first resolution declaring American Independence was passed in
Fredericksburg, April 27th, 1775, twenty-one days before the next earlier.

Seven presidents and three of the greatest military leaders was born at
Fredericksburg or within a short distance.

It was John Paul Jones, a Fredericksburg man, who raised the first flag
over our infant navy, in 1775.

At Fredericksburg and within fifteen miles, more great armies manoeuvered,
more great battles were fought, more men were engaged in mortal combat and
more officers and privates were killed and wounded than in any similar
territory in the world.

The tallest and most imposing monument erected to a woman is erected at
Fredericksburg to the memory of Mary Washington.

James Monroe, for many years a citizen of Fredericksburg, announced the
American principal known as the Monroe Doctrine.

James Madison, born near Fredericksburg, gave to the country the
Constitution of the United States.

It was Fredericksburg that gave to the country the head of the Armies in
the Great War for Independence and the first president, in the person of
the peerless Washington.


Close Driving Distance

  Sedgwick Monument                         12 miles
  "Stonewall" Jackson Monument              11   "
  Massachusetts Monument                    10   "
  Hays Monument                             10   "
  Spotsylvania C. H.                        12   "
  Salem Church                               3   "
  Chancellorsville                          10   "
  Wilderness                                15   "
  Bloody Angle                              12   "
  Hamilton's Crossing                        4   "
  Falmouth                                   1 mile
  Lacy House (Burnside Headquarters)       1/2   "
  Phillips House (Sumner's Headquarters)     1   "


Losses on the Six Battlefields

               FREDERICKSBURG-HAMILTON'S CROSSING

                                          Fed.    Con.     Total

  Fred'sburg, Dec. 13, '62, May 3-4 '63} 12,653   5,377    18,030
  Hamilton s Crossing, Dec. 13, 1862   }

                 CHANCELLORSVILLE-SALEM CHURCH

  Chancellorsville, May 1-3, 1863}        17,287  12,463    29,750
  Salem Church, May 3-4, 1863    }

                          WILDERNESS

  Wilderness, May 5-6, 1864              17,666  10,641    28,307

                         SPOTSYLVANIA

  Spotsylvania, May 8-21, 1864           15,577  11,578    27,155
                                         ------  ------    ------
                   Total                 63,183  40,059   103,242



[Illustration: FREDERICKSBURG AND ITS POINTS OF INTEREST]





*** End of this Doctrine Publishing Corporation Digital Book "Fredericksburg and Its Many Points of Interest" ***

Doctrine Publishing Corporation provides digitized public domain materials.
Public domain books belong to the public and we are merely their custodians.
This effort is time consuming and expensive, so in order to keep providing
this resource, we have taken steps to prevent abuse by commercial parties,
including placing technical restrictions on automated querying.

We also ask that you:

+ Make non-commercial use of the files We designed Doctrine Publishing
Corporation's ISYS search for use by individuals, and we request that you
use these files for personal, non-commercial purposes.

+ Refrain from automated querying Do not send automated queries of any sort
to Doctrine Publishing's system: If you are conducting research on machine
translation, optical character recognition or other areas where access to a
large amount of text is helpful, please contact us. We encourage the use of
public domain materials for these purposes and may be able to help.

+ Keep it legal -  Whatever your use, remember that you are responsible for
ensuring that what you are doing is legal. Do not assume that just because
we believe a book is in the public domain for users in the United States,
that the work is also in the public domain for users in other countries.
Whether a book is still in copyright varies from country to country, and we
can't offer guidance on whether any specific use of any specific book is
allowed. Please do not assume that a book's appearance in Doctrine Publishing
ISYS search  means it can be used in any manner anywhere in the world.
Copyright infringement liability can be quite severe.

About ISYS® Search Software
Established in 1988, ISYS Search Software is a global supplier of enterprise
search solutions for business and government.  The company's award-winning
software suite offers a broad range of search, navigation and discovery
solutions for desktop search, intranet search, SharePoint search and embedded
search applications.  ISYS has been deployed by thousands of organizations
operating in a variety of industries, including government, legal, law
enforcement, financial services, healthcare and recruitment.



Home